8250 SW Tonka St. | Tualatin, OR 97062

(503) 246-9689

Mon, Tue: 7:30am - 5:30pm, Wed, Thu: 7:30am – 4:30pm

Our Hospital Remains Open With Modified Operations To Keep You and Your Pets Safe.COVID-19 Updates

Volume 14

News You Can Use“DCM: A Silent Killer”

Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) is a devastating disorder in veterinary patients, with large and giant breed dogs such as the Doberman Pinscher, Boxer, Golden Retriever, and Great Dane most commonly affected. In Dobermans specifically, a previous veterinary study identified a cumulative prevalence of approximately 60%. Of these patients, only 20% show signs of overt disease, while the remaining 80% are considered occult. Almost 90% are affected with ventricular arrhythmias and 30% suffer from sudden death. Routine evaluation of at risk breeds via echocardiography and Holter monitoring is ideally advised to allow the opportunity for treatments to be initiated and reduce the risk of complications. For more specific information, contact us today!

Did You Know?

… .that Cardiology Northwest offers Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) cardiac screenings for breeding dogs and cats? Our cardiologists perform screening auscultations and echocardiograms in hospital and at scheduled dog show clinics throughout the year.

Questions? Call 503-246-9689 or e-mail [email protected].